You may be asking what style has to do with leadership. I asked Roger Mavity, CEO of Conran Holdings and co-author of Life’s a Pitch about the qualities and characteristics he thought were important in leaders. Amongst honesty, strategic thinking and being a good listener, Roger mentioned style. Here’s what he said about leaders with style: “They’re living a bit more than other people.” I agree, in that the leaders I’ve coached and interviewed who most impress me lead a richer life than others. It’s as if, irrespective of age, gender or experience, they have the kind of wisdom that commands attention and respect from those they encounter. In these challenging times, these are the kinds of leaders we need.
So, how would we know if a leader, which could mean you, your boss or our Prime Minister, is the kind of person I’m talking about? Here are 7 ways to find out:
- Business leaders need to be authentic if they want others to follow them.
- When business people talk about being a workaholic to impress us, they’re living a bit less.
- Awareness is one of the keys to being an effective leader: you need eyes in the back of your head.
- A passionate leader enables people to follow him or her. Not only can you hear passion, it’s something you can actually feel.
- Body language. Yes, we’re back to that topic… In short, keep it open, friendly and stand tall.
- In order to influence listeners, leaders must communicate with energy and enthusiasm.
- Leaders need to be courageous, pragmatic, positive, visionary and focused.